Friday, February 22, 2008

Aria - Richard Rodriguea

Premise:
  • bilingual
  • public indentity
  • personal identity
  • students and teachers
  • ESL
  • title confusion from one language to another
  • home conflict

Argument:

  • Rodriguez argues that sacrificing part of your private identity is necessary and worthwhile in order to gain and formulate a more widely accepted public identity.

Evidence:

  • there is a difference between language appropriate in the home atmosphere and language needed to succeed in the public and schooling spheres. But such seperation can cause confusion in child trying to blend two different cultures. "My mother! My father! After English became my primary language, I no longer knew what words to use when addressing my parents”.

Comment

  • I enjoyed this piece, but honestly the title caught my attention more than anything else. Why he would reference a musical term used in Opera caught me off guard and made me wonder how it connected to public versus private identity,.

No comments: